Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Parenting Priorities

Yesterday I had a great talk with my girlfriend about disciplining. We talked about deciding which things are most important to focus on, and which are not quite as urgent. Basically determining what are the "heart" issues that are going to be our primary focus. For example, Brady really has a hard time shutting the front door when he comes in from outside. While this is very annoying and hiking up our electric bill, it isn't really an issue that is probably going to effect His walk with the Lord later in life. He also is struggling with having a unhappy heart and throwing temper tantrums. His unhappy heart and lack of self control to me seem more important than the smaller issue of not shutting the door at this point.

This is not a new issue for me, but one that I feel like I need to re-examine right now do to the fact that I feel very overwhelmed with disciplining and teaching my children. My 3 are all such different ages and all have different issues they are dealing with all at the same time. I feel like there are so many issues that if I try to tackle them all at once, I will go crazy. (if I haven't already!) So, what I decided to do today is sit down and pick out a few things that I want to really focus on for now, and make them my priority. Once I feel like I have a good handle on these issues, I will move on to a new list while maintaining a handle on the previous issues.
Here are the ones I came up with for now that I really want to focus on:


** obedience- doing what we ask when we ask with out delay or as Zack has been saying lately...."wait one second..." ~Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Ephesians 6:1
**having a good attitude/ joyful countenance- zero tolerance for a negative attitude, whining, or complaining -do all things with a joyful heart even if you don't want to
~Always be joyful, praying always, No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
~A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health.
**being Kind to one another- zero tolerance for unkind words to anyone
~ be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. Ephesians4:32
**No fighting-
~live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. 1Peter 3:8
~Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness James 3:8


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Seems like we are on the same page! I look forward to ordering that book, Parenting With Scriptures. I need help with knowing verses to teach my kids. Doesn't this just reiterate how important it is to really KNOW the Word? We can't teach out of emptiness. I have a long way to go.