Friday, July 6, 2007

Running the race

About 3 weeks ago I had a crazy idea that came out of the blue. I considered training for a marathon. I have been running casually for several years, but not often more than about 3 miles a couple days a week. I got on line and looked at the Hal Higdon training guide recommended by my friend whom I once thought about training for a half marathon with. I looked at both the half and full marathon training guides. I realized that the half looked like something I definitely could accomplish if I worked at it, and the full looked unreal and totally ridiculous for me to even try. Well, after much prayer and pondering I came to the following conclusion. If I train for the half, it really won't be a big accomplishment if I complete it, because I already feel quite confident that it is something do-able for me. If I do the full marathon, I know with out a doubt that if I finish it, it would have to be a mighty God and his strength that gets me through it, and not my own. On that same day I just happened to come across this verse in my Bible, which just so happens to be one of my favorites..... let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1 At that moment I knew that with God's help this was something I could do, and through it I was going to build my faith and trust in God to do the things that I do not feel capable of doing. Which brought to mind another sweet verse......I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

No comments: