Sunday, July 29, 2007

It's not about me

This morning the kids and I were still undecided as to which church we would try this week. Last night I stayed up late looking at all the options, and praying that God would send us to the right one. I wasn't really so much worried with picking the one we would join permanently, as Bob is not here and he will have to make that decision, but I just wanted to be where God wanted me today to worship Him.
We ended up trying a First United Methodist Church. I don't know a lot about the Methodist Church, but we ended up really enjoying the service and the kids loved the children's program. I went to the contemporary service, and the worship was wonderful and the message was just what I needed. It was about positive thinking, and looking forward to what is ahead with joy rather than dread. He talked about how God takes us out of our comfort zone sometimes when He wants to grow us in our faith. He forces us to move in a different direction when we really just want to stay where we are at. That was me this morning (and the past 2 months really!) I found myself irritated and missing my old life. My old church, my old friends, my old house, my old neighborhood. I was so irritated at having to find a new church, none of them were going to be like my old one.
I am glad this morning that the Lord straightened out my way of thinking. I am praying today that the Lord will help me to trust Him and be excited about what he has new for me rather than dwelling on what I had before. I need to be looking forward with anticipation of not only what God has for me, but what I will do to serve Him. Where can I be used? How can I make a difference here where I am? I have changed my thoughts from....what is there here for me? to: How can I serve here? And where will God use me to further His Kingdom?

No comments: