Monday, July 9, 2007

a virtuous woman

This morning I was plagued with a moment of comparison and insecurity as a mom. A feeling that comes to me quite often. I have to quickly turn my eyes back on Jesus and remember that He is the one that will make Deidra who he wants Deidra to be and not me making myself like someone else I see who seems to have all the characteristics I think He would want me to have.

I was lead to read Proverbs 31 and do a check on how I am doing at becoming a virtuous women.
Tori was at the table with me and so I read it to her as well. I hope that when she is older she will also have the desire to fill the shoes of this woman described in these verses. I think when my boys are older it will be important for me to teach them to look for a woman who fits this description for a wife.
One area I was convicted in this morning and that I need to get back on track with is verse 15: She gets up while it is still dark; during the school year I was getting up at 5am everyday, but since summer has been here I guess I have thought I am on vacation too, and can sleep in a bit. My kids are very early risers, so it is really important that I get up and get a head start on my day. The summer is probably even more important for this, as I am with all 3 of them all day and it can get quite hairy trying to keep up the energy to wrangle them all with out a break.
Another part of this chapter that stuck out to me today was verse23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. It made me think about how respected and looked up to our husbands are in their jobs and in their work place and how they deserve that same respect and honor in their home. I will look to God to help me stay in check in that respect. I would hate for my husband to ever receive more respect at work or out side our home than he does right here in his own house.

Then for me, I want to focus on verses 25-30
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she smiles at the days to come. am I looking to the future with a positive attitude? (especially at the close sight of the teenage years!) or am I looking forward with fear and dread??
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. ..not just what ever happens to roll out of my mouth or what ever I want to say...
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. ...I am not to be lazy (even if I really want to!)
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” After pleasing God this is the part I want the most. Does my husband look at me as better than any other woman out there?? I sure hope so...
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

No comments: