Friday, August 10, 2007

the other lesson in kindness

Kindness seems to be a never ending lesson in our house. Sometimes I feel like I go round and round with it never making much progress. One issue we are dealing with right now is when I ask one of my children "why were you unkind to____?" or "was that kind the way that you just treated your brother?" I usually get a "no-but" answer like....."no, but she hit me first" or "no, but he was being mean to me first" I realized today that in saying no, they understand the idea that they were being unkind, but they feel like they are entitled to be unkind if the other person deserves it. (see why I say I feel as if I go round and round!!)
Romans 12 gave me some great in site into what I need to teach next.
v. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse
v.17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. v.18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
v.19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath (or mom's :-)
I also was reminded of Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Isn't it hard to be nice to someone who is mean to you? I know this is a lesson for me too. I tend to pick up on others moods. I can carry on for a while with a joyful spirit, but after about the 5th nasty person in a store, I start to get a little nasty myself. On the contrary though, it is so easy for me to be nice to someone who is pleasant and friendly. But what does God say?? Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

I think it takes God's help to be nice to people when they are being ugly. I guess along with this lesson I need to teach them that if they are anything like their mom they will need the help of God to bless those who are unkind to them.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for these verses. They are an encouragement.

I just read two questions/ statements that have been helpful for me the last few days:

"Could it be that you want the ball [what my children were just fighting over] more than you want to please God?"

And using verses from I Corinthians 13 to ask them, "were you being rude? were you thinking the best? etc."

The last few days I've had several times where I've needed to ask forgiveness from my children because of anger. :( so I should probably think in these terms for me too. I guess we're all learning together.

Michelle

Deidra said...

I just came from my bedroom where I had moment alone with Victoria asking her forgiveness for my anger today! I am so glad to know that someone else is struggling with the same issue.
I love the questions. Especially the do you want______more than you want to please God. That is good! I need to ask myself these same questions.
Thank you for the encouragement today! I really needed it. I would love to write or read more on anger. It really seems to be a struggle for me right now. Why is it that every time I start trying to teach my kids something it starts popping out in me?? Feels so hypocritical to teach them somthing only to find that I have the same issue.