Saturday, August 4, 2007

Celebrating Me


Today we had another Birthday! Mine! I just love Birthdays so much, and put so much effort into celebrating them, even my own! When you are a little kid your mom makes the biggest deal of your Birthday, and it is always one of the most exciting days of the whole year. I learned about 2 years into my marriage that gift giving and throwing big celebrations are not my husbands love languages. He really tries, but it just isn't his thing. So, instead of making him feel bad every year if he did not fulfill my "expectations" (the ones I shouldn't have in the first place!) I decided that if I wanted a special Birthday or Mothers Day, I have to just do it myself like I do everyone else. I know that Bob loves me so much, but he just doesn't get into Birthdays or holidays all that much. And I do!! So, I released him of that and for many years now I have been making my own plans on these kinds of days. He never has seemed to mind one bit. I think he feels relieved of the pressure.

I make my own cake every year or if there is a store bought one I really want, I just buy it. I also plan the day for him. Today was no exception. The best part of my day was just that Bob was home for the weekend. It was a great day. This morning I took myself to have my hair done for no reason at all! I made the yummiest ALL chocolate cake, and I had dinner at the Boat Yard. It was a very good restaurant right on the water. At about 3:00 everyday all the fishing boats start coming in and throwing their catches up on the dock. It was so fun to watch. Quite addictive, because every time you start to leave another boat pulls up and you just want to stay and see what he will bring in. We saw a lot of great fish!
My day was perfect and I am so thankful today that the Lord made me! Some people may think it is corny to celebrate yourself, but why not? Anyway, my point for today was not to journal about how great my Birthday was (although I am glad to be able to share it!), but it was about what the Lord taught me today on my Birthday. All day today this verse kept popping into my head....Whatever exists has already been named, and what man is has been known;
no man can contend with one who is stronger than he. Ecclesiastes 6:10
Here is the NLT version. (I use this version a a lot with my kids and it often helps me a little too!!)
Everything has already been decided. It was known long ago what each person would be. So there's no use arguing with God about your destiny.

When I was younger I had all kinds of things I wanted to be. In high school I wanted to be a sports nutritionist. (my love of Cheetos and ice cream didn't quite match!) I wanted really badly to be a flight attendant at one point too. I went to college wanting to be a school teacher. I would teach Elementary School if I had the choice. Here is a silly little unknown fact about me! I have always wished I could be a hair dresser!! Not because I know one thing about hair!! I can't even fix my own, but I just think they are cool and always have such cute jewelry and shoes!! How fun it would be to make people look pretty. I also always wanted to have lots and lots AND LOTS of children. He didn't make me to have 17 children (although that would sure have been fun!!) He didn't make me to do any of these things. He made me to be right here where I am doing just what I am doing. Loving my husband and raising my 3 wonderful children. Although I don't know what all the Lord has planned for me in the future ( I hope grandma is on the list in there somewhere!) I know that He does! And that is all that matters. How freeing to know that He already knows!! He has it all planned out for me.
Thank you Lord for making me Deidra Marie Nichols, and for the life you have planned out for me.
Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. John 17:24

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Today I celebrate your friendship in a special way! I am so thankful the Lord brought you into this world to be moldable to His plans and to be MY FRIEND!I am glad your birthday was great. I can tell you have been smiling all day. I love you dearly! Happy Bday!