Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Wisdom

One thing parenting has done I think, more than anything else is increased my desire for God's wisdom. The challenges of parenting have brought me (sometimes out of desperation!) to a place of true humbleness. I realize that I do not know what to do in so many avenues of parenting. I can survive this journey only with God's great wisdom.

Every time I think I have something figured out, the challenges change. What worked for one kid now does not work for the next, what worked last week is not working so well this week, last weeks problem has fizzled down, only for another spark to ignite somewhere else or with another child. It seems like a never ending process. This brings me to need for complete submissiveness to the Lord and what He has planned for my children. They are his children not mine. I am simply being used as a vessel to raise them up for the Lord.

I have been praying these great verses from Proverbs 2 this week for wisdom in my parenting:

v.2 ...turning your ear to wisdom (I have to be listening for God to give it to me)
and applying your heart to understanding (the Hebrew use of heart [leb] here refers to our mind...I have to think about how God wants me to apply His wisdom to my parenting)
v. 3 and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding (this is me!!)
v.4 and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, (God's wisdom should be the most precious thing I could ever long for.......a true treasure it is!)
v. 5-6 then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Thank you Lord for your Wisdom. With your wisdom there is never excuse or reason for me to be weary or discouraged. You will lead me in the paths I need to follow. I just have to trust you with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I will acknowledge you and you will direct my paths. Help me to follow your path in parenting and trust that you will get me where I need to go.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That's one of my favorite passages in Proverbs. I cannot read it without feeling an emotional tug of desire for that which is more precious than rubies.

Good thoughts.