Sunday, September 9, 2007

setting aside my reputation

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever‑increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18

Of all the people in my extended family, I can not think of one person that is a Christian. This has made my walk with the Lord different in the fact that I did not have the influence or teaching of how to live a Godly life. I don't have family I can call on for prayer or Godly advice. I have to rely solely on the leading of the Lord.

It has also made it difficult for me to share my faith with in my family. I risk being labeled the "holy roller" of the family or the "religious" one. Those were terms I heard quite frequently growing up. Being stretched my the Lord to be more bold in my faith has brought me to think alot about relinquishing my reputation in order to serve God the way I should.

I have an uncle, my mothers brother, who has gone through a rough year. He let himself go to alcoholism, and lost his job of 16 years for the state of Illinois. He soon after almost lost his house, and is still nearly 6 months behind on his mortgage. He lost all visitation rights with his 2 boys, and eventually landed in a deep depression and total dependency on alcohol. This man was as far in the pit as one could probably get. He was so bad that my mom had to go down there and persuade him to go to a detox program. He completed the program, (Praise the Lord!) and is now back at home. He has a long road ahead of him to get his life back in order. The detox was only the first small step.

I prayed for him the whole time he was in detox, and once he was out I realized..this man need Jesus!! He needs to know the only way to really get his life back in order.
That same night I got an e-mail from my mom asking me if I wanted to send him a little note or something to encourage him. In it she said..."he told me, the doctor and the detox nurse that day that he reads the bible every night, so don't be afraid to give him a good sermon!!!! ha!" The minute I read that I knew that God was calling me to do something that no on else in my family was going to do. I had to tell Danny about the Salvation our God could provide for him. To do that, I was going to have relinquish my reputation. I was going to have to not care what anyone else thought and go for it. So I did.

The first thing I did was go on line to purchase and have send to him some reading materials. I bought him 2 short booklets both about our purpose here on earth, and about throwing out the trash of our past and making a new life (through Christ!) I purchased a new Bible, and even had his name imprinted on it!
Today I sat down and wrote him a 4 page letter telling him about my life and how I was able to break free from a family that has done more harm than good in my life, and make a new life for myself, in Christ!

Many times today I have regretting the literature I had sent to him, thinking he will think it is stupid. I hesitated for hours to put the letter in the mail which would expose me now a true "holy roller", but I did it. I relinquished my reputation for the purpose of Christ, and also hopefully for the sole of this man. How can I withhold a powerful message of how Christ can save him, all because I am too afraid of what others will think of me? I am so glad the Lord helped me to make the right decision.
Please pray for me this week if you think of it. And pray for Danny and my letter and the literature that he will receive. I pray that the Lord will lead him to a new life and that the Danny will accept it. I have a lot more souls that need saving in my family. I will be praying that the Lord will continue to give me more boldness. :-)

No comments: