Sunday, April 13, 2008

God's promise

This last part of this week with my children was tough. Just when I was feeling inadequate and struggling to believe that I am raising my children to love God and each other, my friend called with this wonderful verse...

This is what the Lord says—he who made you, who formed you in the womb,
and who will help you: Do not be afraid, Deidra, my servant, whom I have chosen.

For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.
One will say, ‘I belong to the Lord’; another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, ‘ I am the Lord's,’ and will take the name Israel. Isaiah 44:3-5

It is so hard to stay motivated when you see little fruit in your children. I know my teaching is not real eloquent. I feel like I am talking to a wall sometimes when trying to convey truth to my children. It wasn't modeled to me and so it certainly does not come naturally, but I believe with all my heart that God chose me to be the start of a long lineage of followers of Christ. I believe that He intends to bless my children with His heritage as He has done for me.

I have been praying to hear more clearly from the Lord, and I believe that it was no accident that I meditated on Isaiah 44 all weekend. I believe it was a word of encouragement from the encourager Himself!

Their descendants will be known among the nations and their offspring among the peoples.
All who see them will acknowledge that they are a people the Lord has blessed. Isaiah 61:9


I may not always know the right verses to teach my children or the perfect words to say in just the right situations, I know I get frustrated and angry at times but I, like my children, am a work in progress. All I have to do right now is trust God and believe His promises. I know that one day when I look at my children and see them following God and teaching their own children to follow Him, it will not be because I knew what I was doing! It will be because God is the great Redeemer.
I really stink at this Godly parenting thing sometimes, but it is ok because 1 Corinthians says that God deliberately uses the weak nobodies like me to do His great works. God alone made it possible for me to be in Christ Jesus. He alone will make it possible for my Children as well. I will have nothing to boast about but Him.
As the Scriptures say, "The person who wishes to boast should boast only of what the Lord has done." 1 Corinthians 1:31

1 comment:

Kelly said...

God IS changing you.. and your children. You are a wonderful, godly mom. Your heart's desire to know Him and make Him known reflects His heart in yours. I love you.