Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Obstacle #1 Fear

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

I have been writing this week on revelation and what I think can also be called God's Wisdom. We should always be seeking it and always listening to hear it.
From the time we are set apart as God's children until the time He calls us home, He is working in us and making us more and more like Him. Little by little and one revelation at a time, we should be constantly straining forward (v.14)

The word straining tells us that it will not always be easy. Yesterday I said that I wanted to write about 5 obstacles we have to "press on" through in order to reach that prize that Paul is talking about. Today I will look on #1 which so happens to be a huge struggle for me!!

1) Fear: Fear= unbelief When we are fearful, we are telling God that we do not believe He has the power to handle it. (what ever our IT might be)

Philippians 4:19 says God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus

God raises Jesus from the DEAD!! That is some kind of power! If he has that kind of power, why do I not believe that He has the power to meet what ever need I have.

Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 124:8

the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them—the Lord, who remains faithful forever. Psalm 146:6

There is not a day that I do not look at this big earth and this seeming endless ocean that I am so blessed to live by, that I do not awe in the creator of it all. I think that is partly why I love to travel so much. I will never forget the day my family hiked to the top of a mountain in the beautiful Island of Hawaii and looked down over the entire island. It was the most beautiful site I had ever seen. If you have ever see the Grand Canyon or the Smokey Mountains, you can relate to the "awe" I am talking about.
Romans 1:20 says For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Knowing God's great and divine power I don't have any excuse for not trusting Him. Fear is an obstacle I MUST "press on" through.

No comments: