Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The way up is down

I have been preparing this morning for a new women's Bible study that I will start tonight at my church. As expected, this has brought with it feelings of inadequacy on my part. As I prayed about it this morning, I realized that God has me to feel these feelings for a reason. Not because I am inadequate, but because God wants me to remember where my strength comes from. I am no more than an insecure scaredy cat! My wisdom and strength comes only from God.

As I read this morning in Philippians I focused a lot on the topic of humility. My daughter is really struggling right now with obedience and submission to our authority. I thought this would be a great lesson for her as well, and prayed that God would help me to present it to her in a way that she will receive. Philippians 2:8-9 gives us Christ’s example to us of humility.

And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled himself and became obedient to death–
even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, Philippians 4:8-9

On a human level Jesus’ humility really didn’t get Him very far…..it resulted in death, but on a divine level the result was astounding……He was highly exalted and given a name above all names. This shows me that humility may not seem like anything in this world, in fact it appears in earthly form as a weakness, but in heaven it brings great reward.

Dying to self is so hard. I am thankful for Christ’s example of complete selflessness and sacrifice for others. This will also help me so much as I prepare to share my desire for God’s Word with other women.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. Philippians 4:3-7


I will no longer feel bad about my feelings of inadequacy. I am thankful for them, as they remind me that I am humble servant of God. I truly can do nothing with out His help.

No comments: