Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fruit

I have on occasion heard people say...."You can know if a mother is Godly and worth looking toward for advice by the fruit she produces (her children)."

I thought about that the other day and decided that I do not necessarily agree with that. God says that fruit will be produced in His time. The behavior and sinful nature of my children at this point in their lives should be no representation of God's glory or the fruit that he will bring forth in them when the time is right. I feel like I have been discouraged by this statement and for a time have felt like I must not be doing a good job because my children do not seem to be producing the fruit they should be.

Galatians 6:9 says let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. I read over and over those words in due season. Our culture today tells us NOW we do not want to wait for anything. That is why we have instant dinners and 5 minute guarantees. But we are not of the world and we should not expect to have it all now. We have to hang in there and not grow faint. We can look at the seasons in light of a grower.....Spring- we water and feed Summer- we wait Fall- we Harvest and watch it all bloom.

I am not yet to the Harvest. In parenting, I am still in the water/feed stage and in some instances waiting. I know that I will eventually see the Harvest, and God promises it to be bountiful. I have to believe that and anticipate it. Think about when we plant a seed in the ground. Do we sit there and watch it until we see it sprout and get frustrated all the days that we see nothing??? NO, we keep watering it and trust that one day we will wake up and surprise, something is going to peep out of that soil!! We have to just keep watering and feeding! We never know when that thing is going to come out of the ground. What a peace that gives me today.

No comments: