Monday, February 21, 2011

Don't fall for the Phish Food!

My husband and I started a little "healthy eating" plan together after Valentines Day. We were doing so well and then out of the blue my husband looses his mind Friday night and comes home with a pint of my very favorite ice cream...Ben and Jerry's Phish Food! I was so mad at him but at the same time didn't take it upon myself to do anything about it other than sit on the couch over the coarse of the last 2 nights and eat the whole container! Last night as I finished it off I thew the container in the trash. This morning as I came into the kitchen before my early morning work out I pulled the container back out of the trash to see just how many calories I had to make up for this morning after sabotaging my "healthy eating" plan over the weekend. That entire container of Ben and Jerry's Phish food had a total of 1400 calories!! I was so mad at myself for sabotaging my weekend eating that I got on my treadmill with the intention of working out as hard as I could and seeing how close i could get to depleting that 1400 calorie deficit. I was on that treadmill for 45 minutes about to kill myself doing intervals sometimes so hard that they would have had me flying across the basement if I had mis-stepped on that belt going faster than the speed of light. I was sweating like never before and in the end as I looked at the calories burned on the display it showed that I had burned a whole whopping 434 calories. Almost 1,000 more to go! Good grief I'll NEVER make it! That darn ice cream tasted so good at the time, but the after effects are nearing impossible to make up for! It was at that moment that I realized that sin is just like that. Sin always seems good at the time but the after effects make you realize that it really wasn't worth it at all. That is what makes our savior so great. He doesn't require us to "burn" off all that sin. If He did we would be hopeless. There would be no way we could ever work out enough to make up for all the sin in our life. Instead, He just wipes it away! Free! Without any "work out" from us. Oh how grateful I am for that. So as with my Ben and Jerry's when we mess up, all we can do is throw out the empty container....give it to Him, start over, and allow Him to help us make a better choice next time! if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 1John 1:7

No comments: