Monday, February 23, 2009

Lent

I have never been one to really give up anything for Lent. To be honest with you when the idea was brought to my attention by my friend this past week I really didn't know anything about it. I tentatively agreed to give something up with her, and then went on line to research exactly what Lent was and what I was supposed to do. As I looked at different things on the internet I only got my self more confused and even a little discouraged. I even read sights that claimed that giving something up for Lent was not Biblical. Being overwhelmed, I just decided to pray about it and ask the Lord Himself to tell me what this was all about and if he wanted me to do it.

I started out asking the Lord what I would give up. I started to feel that what I gave up shouldn’t be something that I feel I need to give up, but rather something that I really enjoyed and found pleasure in. I would be giving it up not because I have to, but because I want to. I want to as a sacrifice. A sacrifice on my part symbolizing the sacrifice God made for me for my sins. For the next 40 days I made the decision to commit to a complete surrender to the Lord and all that he wanted to work in and out of me. I would do this in the form of a fast. A fast of all sweets including what I call all the C’s. Cake, Candy, Cookies, ice Cream and Coke (but not coffee!!) If you know me well, you know that this will not be an easy task for me. I eat these things EVERY day and when EVER I want! This may very well be one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am committed to it and I am going to do it!

Now, it has been a busy few months for me and while I have kept a written journal and continued to grow in the Lord, I have not had the time to write on my blog. I am anticipating though, that the next 40 days are going to be life changing for me. I believe that the Lord is going to make changes in me like never before. I am ready, and I don’t want to miss one thing. So, to help myself keep track of this 40 day journey (and to keep from getting writers cramp trying to write all in my written journal!) I will use my blog to count down and journal the next 40 days.

I will spend today praying for what God wants me to focus on during this time. Praying for my husband? Praying for my children? Reading my Bible more? More positive thinking? What does he want me to put on in place of what I am putting off?

No comments: