Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 36 Friends and encouragers

Today after church we went to a Chinese Buffet. The dessert bar was again a HUGE temptation. The ice cream station was even harder! Mint chocolate chip!! I mean come on!! I stuck to it and only ate fruit. It is sad, but I have to say that this is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I never realized how many sweets I really enjoy all the time and never even think twice about it.

Tonight at church I was so tempted to have a chocolate chip cookie with the kids. One of my friends who knows that I have given up sweets said to me…..”don’t do it….it’s not worth it. They aren’t that good anyway!” I didn’t know if she was telling the truth or not, but we smiled at each other and I then told her that the taco meat we had on the taco salad wasn’t any good either. See, she gave up red meat for Lent so although I had the meat she just had a bowl of chips with cheese and salsa on it.

This little incident made me think of how important our friends are to us for strength and encouragement. Although what she was required to resist was different than what it was for me, she helped me to stand against the temptation and I helped her!

Today I am ever so thankful to all the friends I have who encourage me and help me to stand strong when I am weak.

encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. Hebrews 3:13-14

No comments: