Monday, March 3, 2008

Shine

So that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe Philippians 2:15

When I left my wonderful group of friends in NM they gave a wall hanging with this verse on it. I hung it on the wall by the door that leads to the garage, so that I can see it every time I go out somewhere. It is great for my kids too. My hope is that as they leave the house they will be reminded of how we are to shine out in the world filled with darkness.

Those of us in the military all have places we would like to go or hope to get assignments to. We don't always get the places we really want, but I have learned that no matter where I go, what I really want is to be where God wants me to be. I never want to go anywhere with out the Lord's presence.

Today I read this passage in Exodus 33:16 How will anyone know that you distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” The answer to Moses' question is God's presence. It is what sets us apart. We have to be in His Word and in our quiet times so that we can be filled with His Holy Spirit everywhere we go each day. If we re not filled with the Holy Spirit, the only thing that sets us apart from the others is that we have to get up early on Sunday and give up one of the only 2 days in the weekend!!

In my situation, God has not chosen to put me in a place where there are already a whole lot of other lights. That is a new thing for me. I guess that means that if I don't have all the other lights to shine with me like I am used to, I better just shine brighter!

Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Isaiah 60:1-2

No comments: