Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thankful for those who hold me up

Today God put on my heart a strong sense of gratitude for all the friends I have in my life. Being in the military I have lived in 5 different states in 8 years. All along making more friends than one could ever even ask for. I know and love so many people it is just hard to even believe sometimes. It is nearly impossible to keep in touch with all of them, but I still hold each and every one of them dear to my heart, and often remember the impact they made on my life during the season of my life that God placed them in. They are such a gift from God.

In Exodus 17:8-16 Joshua is fighting the Amalekites. Moses tells Joshua that he will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands. Verse 11 says that as long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. Joshua could not defeat his enemy on his own, and Moses could not do it for him either. But what Moses did do was stand on that mountain for his friend and hold his hands up for God's strength. If you read even further, verse 12 tells us that when Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset.

Talk about support from your friends when you are in the midst of a battle!! I don't think I could have found a better example! Through this group of men relying on one another for strength, God brought victory! God empowered them to work together and defeat the Amalikites.

I had my sweet friend call me the other night when she needed to be lifted up in prayer. We both felt empowered after taking the time to pray together. Anther friend e-mailed me yesterday filling me in on some of the struggles she and her family are facing right now. I felt compassion for her as I know I am struggling with some of the same issues, and we agreed to lift one another up in prayer.

The people in my life that I feel the closest to are those who have humbled them selves enough to share their struggles with me and I have felt welcome to lay my burdens on them at times. What a privilege it is to experience spiritual victory with a friend. I am sure God delights in our commitment to hold one another up in His strength. What a mistake it is when we let pride stand in the way of allowing others to share in our personal battles. When we do not ask for support, we cheat ourselves and others from being able to experience the joy of victory in the end.

Here is one of my favorite verses:
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I can't begin to explain how much I love you and am grateful for you as my friend and my encourager. I needed to read this today!

Deidra said...

I love you too my friend. What a perfect example of iron sharpening iron our friendship is! Our whole friendship is based on a love of the Lord, and it just can't get any 'betta than that sister! :-)
I never end a conversation with you with out being better off in the end than I was when we started!