Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The consiquences of prayerlessness

If I try to think of anything in my life that comes in the way of drawing closer to the Lord, two things come to my mind right away. One is lack of prayer and the other its scripture memory. I have been convicted of both and haven't made much effort to do anything about it. Today I am focusing on the prayer part.

I am doing the Beth Moore Bible study right now at church. We are digging deep into the details of the Old Testament tabernacle, and right now we are studying the altar of incense and it's relation to prayer. This morning Beth gave 4 scriptures about prayer. They were:
1) Isaiah 50:4-5 2) Mark 14:38 3) Philippians 4:6-7 4) James 4:2

From these 4 scriptures I observed the following about prayer. (numbered by the verse)
1) Prayer is me obediently listening to the Lord and what He has to say to me
2) Prayer keeps me from temptation, and ultimately sin
3) It keeps me from worry and fear (more sin!)
4) It provides all that I need...what I lack is because I have failed to pray for it

My lack of prayer is such a disregard for the ultimate reason Jesus gave his life for me. His whole purpose for living is so I can commune with God. I am not righteous enough as I am, and Jesus stands in for me, placing me in a right relationship with God.

Therefore He is able, once and forever, to save everyone who comes to God through Him. He lives forever to plead with God on their behalf. Hebrews 7:25

No comments: