Monday, July 8, 2013

staying attached to the vine

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing........But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!" 
 
At first glance this verse looks like a magic Jeanie lamp.  Ask and your wish is my command!  Look a little closer and you see that it reveals another example of God encouraging us to surrender to Him and let Him make our desired His desires.  A branch that is attached to the vine does not have plans of it's own.  It simply thrives on what the vine provides it.  It follows the direction the vine leads it's growth.  If it goes it's own way and wants to be apart from the vine it has to be cut off. Once cut off it can't go anywhere.  It can't produce anything.  "apart from me you can do nothing..." Go out to your yard and cut of a branch from a bush or a vine.  What will happen to that branch?  There it will lay on the ground.  After a couple of days it will die.  If you never pick it up it will lay there forever, never do a thing.  I know I sure don't want to be that branch.  Cut off from my father. 

If I remain in Him and he remains in me then my desires will be His desires.  The things I ask of Him will be the desires He has put in my heart.  I will only long for what he wants for me not the thing that I THINK I want.  The best part about this is that it then says we will produce fruit.  MUCH fruit! 

Thank you Lord for your grace which has allowed me to be a part of your vine. Thank you for your mercy which prevents me from ever being cut off from you. May I remain in you and your words remain in me.  I want to produce much fruit.  I want to please you and honor you in all that I do. If I am living with a desire to be 100% surrendered to your desires then I will never be disappointed.  I will never long for anything else. 


No comments: