Wednesday, September 14, 2011

He's not finished with me yet

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old is gone the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17


I started a new memory verse system this week and this is the first verse that I have to memorize. I have been carrying this verse in my pocket, reviewing it and pondering its meaning over the last day. At first it gave me such hope. To be reminded that we are a new creation and made NEW is exciting and encouraging but then just as quickly as I found joy in this idea I also began to see my old self still crouching right around the corner. In the very day that I was memorizing this verse about being in Christ and walking as his new creation I found my self struggle with anger and an outburst of wrath! What IS this? If I am a new creation and the old is gone why in the world did I just get angry with my own child and have a sudden outburst of wrath with out any warning! I thought my old self was gone and the NEW was here??

I went to bed last night discouraged and praying that God would give me wisdom in this. This morning as I sat in my quiet time He did just that. While we are a new creation sin is still here. Romans 6:6 says :We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. What this verse says is that sin loses it's power over our lives, what it does NOT say is that sin is GONE. While we are a new creation, we still have the “old man” that must be put to death.

This will not happen over night (or in 15 years in my case!!) It will take God's Word and the Holy Spirit in unison to experience that new nature. Our partis to submit in this daily process so that Jesus becomes greater while we become less. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less. John 3:30

This is a long process and we have to be patient and hopeful not allowing the enemy to feed us the lies in the process.Today I set aside my failings from yesterday and press on toward a new day. A new day is yet one more opportunity to become less so He can become greater. It all comes back to humility. The greatest thing God is teaching me right now.
God sees us already as a finished product. I am SO thankful for that!

No comments: