Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Immanuel

Every year at Christmas I say that I am not going to let the Christmas season go by with out really focusing on what the season is all about.  I really try my best to keep that focus but with all the shopping, baking, parties, lights and festivities, before I know it the season is over and I find myself exhausted and completely off track from the real meaning of Christmas.  This year was no exception.  As I have been working to put all the Christmas decorations away this week it has crossed my mind several times that I can't even really believe it's over all ready.  I don't even feel like I experienced Christmas.  It all seems like a blur.  I wish I could do it all again now that everything is calmed down and it's peaceful again!! 

Today as I started my year of reading through the Bible again I was in my New Testament reading in Matthew.  At the end of Chapter 1 in v. 23 it says...she will give birth to a son and they will call him Immanuel which means "God is with us"
As I read this I was overwhelmed by that simple little phrase.  That IS what the whole season is all about.  God gave us Christ so he could "be with us"  not just at Christmas but always!  Maybe I don't celebrate Christmas in December like everyone else.  Maybe December for me is a month of service and giving.  Giving to my family, my friends, my neighbors, my church.  I bake and I shop, I wrap and I create.  This year I even ran a little business and helped my family financially with my Christmas earnings. It was busy yes, but others were blessed.  My family got (almost) all the special treats that they love so much, we full filled all the traditions that they look forward to, we spent time with neighbors and with family. We delivered treats, we received treats, we taught Sunday school, we had a big Christmas dinner with ham and all our favorite fixings. 

Yes, maybe December is a time of service for me.  Maybe I celebrate Christmas on Jan. 4th. as I sit by my fire place with my Bible in my lap and a sweet 5 word reminder.....Immanuel-God is with us. All December during the hustle and bustle....and today by the quiet fireplace with my Bible and a cup of coffee....He is with us. 

No comments: